enjoy — europe.com
Travel with John Bermont

The original do-it-yourself travel guide to Europe ℠

European Auto Rental

Rent a car to see the countryside.
Driver's License, International Driving Permit. Rent, lease, purchase, or bring your own car.

Driving on the Champs Elysees, Paris, France.

Traffic on the Champs-Élysées in Paris, France is well spaced and flows smoothly. One of Paris' icons, the Arc de Triomphe in the background, is the center of a huge traffic circle, the Étoile, with no lane markers and chaos galore.

Given the superb public transport system and the scarcity of parking at any cost, it is better to avoid driving in Paris, or any other large city for that matter. Add to that the foreign iconic traffic signs, the unpredictable behavior of European drivers, radar triggered traffic cameras, unsurpassed traffic jams, and additional nuisances. You have better things to do on your vacation, don't you?

Carpe diem. Vivere bene! Gratia Deo.

Chapter 18 part 1 of

HOW TO EUROPE: The Complete Travelers Handbook
John Bermont

John Bermont — Chef du Site

This entire book is published totally free on-line by the author, photographer, and webmaster, yours truly, with help from my daughter Stephanie. I welcome all questions, comments, compliments, and complaints. For contact information please see NOTE TO READERS. Updated 23 November 2015.

Brought to you by
Euro-Shoppe is your go-to Internet source for travel supplies.
Your Go-To Travel Store

License to drive.


This Internet edition of chapter 18 is divided into four parts because it is so big. The four parts are:

  1. European Auto Rental: Details and Documentation .
  2. Driving in Europe: Back Alley to Blazing Autobahn.
  3. Laws and Habits: Police, Speed Limits, Tailgaters.
  4. Parking, Gasoline, Safety: Adjuncts to Driving.


I love the trains of Europe. If you are visiting the major cities of Europe there is no other rational or more pleasant way of getting from the center of one to the center of another, unless there is a big body of water between them. Then you take a ferry, another utterly enjoyable experience. For an illustrated introduction to trains and ferries see chapter 17, Trains in Europe: A Primer for Riding the Rails.

But if you are planning a trip to see the bucolic regions of a country or two, the smart way to go is the good old American way — by car. I have driven throughout much of Europe on various trips — Holland, Germany, France, Italy, Poland, Ukraine, Turkey, Sweden, and at least a half dozen other countries. Having a car is certainly the best way to explore specific regions like Burgundy and Bavaria in depth. Have a plan or amble about the villages and Dorfs, stay in small country gites and Gasthauses, and dine in auberges and Stubes. If you plan some shopping you don't need to worry about carrying your purchases around. I love old and unusual junque from flea markets in Europe and can easily fill a car trunk in a few weeks with new found valuables.

It will be a trip you will never forget. But before you hit the road, get familiar with some of the differences between driving in the USA and driving in Europe. There are plenty of unfamiliar things for the first timer. Your life depends on knowing the basics. And make sure that you have good maps and/or a GPS device.



The biggest difference between driving a car in Europe and driving in the United States is that driving in Europe costs more. The price of automobiles, insurance, gasoline, maintenance, tolls, parking (when available), and violations can be two to three times higher in Europe than at home.

You will probably be renting a car if you wish to drive in Europe. There are a number of auto rental agencies. Special considerations apply in Europe. There are minimum and maximum ages for renting autos. Cars rented in one country may or may not be allowed to enter another country. If you return the car to a location other than the one where you rented it the drop-off charges may be boggling, especially if your drop-off is in another country. Plan ahead.

Almost Everything Else

Other significant differences in Europe include the types of cars in use, roads and road markings, courtesy or lack thereof, speed, and rules of the road, both official and customary.

Approaching Cambridge, England where the law says you drive on the left side of the road.

Driving toward Cambridge, England you see the major difference when driving in the UK. You drive in the left lane in merry old England. In this image you are not allowed to turn right at the first intersection due to that round red sign with the white belt, "DO NOT ENTER — WRONG WAY" is what that means. At the second intersection you can turn right to catch the M11 motorway to London or Stansted Airport. The little yellow patch with two black symbols indicates a detour, known as a diversion in Britain. Route numbers are given but no distances. Bring your own compass.


Before you can drive in Europe you need a drivers license.

Home State Driver's License

A valid driver's license is required to operate an automobile, motorcycle, or moped in Europe. Your home state driver's license is sufficient in most countries, often up to 180 days. In some countries operation of anything other than a normal sedan requires a special license. For example, you may need a special license to ride a motorcycle in Europe.

International Driving Permit, IDP

It would be a good idea to have an IDP when driving in Europe. It is required in Italy and some other countries. Even if you do not plan to drive in Europe, I recommend an IDP. It is a handy additional piece of identification which can sometimes be left as deposit when renting a bicycle or a deck chair. You don't want to leave your passport.

The IDP is an official document. The US State Department's web site describes it thus:

Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into 10 foreign languages. Before departure, you can obtain an IDP at a local office of one of the two automobile associations authorized by the U.S. Department of State: AAA (American Automobile Association) [and] National Auto Club. To apply for an IDP, you must: be age 18 or over, present two passport-size photographs, and present your valid U.S. driver's license. The cost of an IDP from these organizations is less than $20.00. See the State Department web site, if they did not move the information again.

So basically all that the IDP does is translate your driver's license into a bunch of foreign languages and shows what class of vehicle you are authorized to operate. In case of language difficulty with local police the IDP will probably save you some grief. You never know when you are going to be pulled over and you never know the attitude of the cop until it happens. Your home state driver's license is still needed when driving in Europe with the International Driving Permit.

The cover of an International Driving Permit.

Here is the cover of an official International Driving Permit. It is a pamphlet, 4"x6" and has 18 pages. Your mug shot and vital stats are on the inside back cover. It is a rather plain looking document, black on off-white. Don't be a sucker for fancy expensive fraudulent "International Driver's Licenses."

The IDP is sold at offices of the American Automobile Association. Bring one valid driver's license, two passport photos, and $15.00 to an office of the AAA and you'll have an IDP in about ten minutes.

Most AAA offices can take your picture if you don't have extra passport photos. I suggest that you get extra passport photos and use a couple of those. You'll save money and you really don't want anybody except a police officer to see a photo taken by the AAA office.

When I had a German drivers license, I bought my IDP from the German authorities. It is basically the same piece of paper as issued in the USA.

European Driver's License

For those planning to live overseas, it is a good idea, if not a requirement, to apply for a local driver's license.

I obtained a license in Holland simply by presenting my California drivers license. As long as your home state license is valid, you can obtain a Dutch license without taking expensive lessons and a rigorous test.

Obtaining a driver's license in Germany was not as simple as in Holland. You must make application within a year of taking up residence, and take an eye examination at a regular optometrist's office. They use sophisticated instruments to check your eyes, not one of those simple wall charts. Unfortunately my test resulted in determining that I needed eye glasses. Not for me again, I decided, and talked the doctor into changing the results of the exam based on the fact that I had been partying the night before at local Fasching events and couldn't see straight yet. He bought my story and gave me an OK to drive without glasses. The technician who gave me the test was not happy. She gave me one of those looks. By the way, Fasching is a time when Germans drink and party hard. It's one of the German names for Mardi Gras, known in some countries as Carnival.

"International Driver's License"

There is no such thing as an "International Driver's License" even though you can buy one from fraudulent Internet hucksters at twice the price of a valid IDP. The AAA web site cautions:

WARNING-- International Driving Permits issued by unauthorized persons: The Department of State is aware that IDPs are being sold over the Internet and in person by persons not authorized by the Department of State pursuant to the requirements of the U.N. Convention of 1949. Moreover, many of these IDPs are being sold for large sums of money, far greater than the sum charged by entities authorized by the Department of State. Consumers experiencing problems should contact their local office of the U.S. Postal Inspector, Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Better Business Bureau, or their state or local Attorney General's Office.

Some of these lying forgers have professional looking web sites with claims of authenticity, even citing the United Nations Convention and showing images of their krap which look like very official documents. They can easily fool you. I doubt that they can fool a police officer in Europe who knows what the real McCoy looks like. Go to any office of the American Automobile Association, the AAA, and get your IDP there. Otherwise, if you want to mail your money to a PO box in Kentucky, go ahead and be a sap. By the way, I have a bridge to sell you. I don't know where it is but I'll get one if you send the money. And a further caution. Amazon.com and Google.com are promoting some of these shysters. Remember there is only one IDP and in the USA you can only get it from the AAA and the AATA.


There are a number of ways to have a car available in Europe. These are: rent one, lease one, buy a new one, buy a used one, bring one with you, or let your company provide you with one. The choice depends on the length and purpose of your trip, the weight of your wallet, or the attitude of your employer.

European vs. American Cars

European cars are different. They have nothing to compare to the standard home grown Ironmobile with ho-hum automatic transmission and swish-swash suspension.

The typical European car has a tight manual transmission, sports car type steering, and road-wise suspension. A medium size car, both in physical size and in engine performance, used to be the original Volkswagon "Beetle." Families of four traveled in what in America was considered to be a student's car. I had one, after I graduated. Best little car there was for scooting around Chicago. Even after the end of production, maybe half the cars in Europe are smaller than that little German "rollerskate with headlights," as my neighbor used to refer to my V-dub. The trend is toward bigger cars in Europe, but you'll often see the new Smart Car. The Smart Car is about half the size of anything else.

A Smart Car parked in La Baule, France.

Here is the midget of cars, the Smart Car, parked in front of a drugstore in La Baule, France. There is about enough room inside for the driver and a sack of groceries. Do not forget the wine. [Photo by Stephanie.]

American cars are rare in Europe. Most American cars in Europe are owned by American servicemen. The rest belong to the well-to-do, to American businessmen, to Swedish teenagers, and to those engaged in shady businesses. They really appear out of place in the narrow streets and abbreviated parking spaces of Europe.

Auto Rental

Auto rental and leasing agencies are located throughout Europe. Advice and assistance on renting a car in Europe are areas where a good travel agent can help. Also consult the AAA and the international car rental companies. Hertz, Avis, National, and Budget maintain offices in the major cities and in some surprising out-of-the-way places. These companies operate under their own name or affiliated company names in Europe. Call one of the majors and request a world-wide directory. These directories list agency locations, car types, rates, taxes, insurance requirements, minimum and maximum age, and other conditions. Look in the TRAVELERS YELLOW PAGES section Auto Rental in Europe for web site URL links.

Rent-a-Car office at the Toul, France train station.

These auto rental agencies have an office at the Toul, France train station.

It's possible to save money by renting from one of the local European car rental companies. Inquire at the national tourist office before departure, or at the local tourist office on arrival. European airlines are also a good source for information on local car rental agencies. And even the European railroads, recognizing their natural limitations, can help you rent a car. The French National Railroad, SNCF, promotes special combination rail/car vacation packages.

At all rental agencies, the style and price range are more varied than in America. Individual agencies rent autos ranging from the cheap and under-powered midget cars to the most expensive Mercedes Benz sedans. Some agencies specialize in Porsches and other high performance sports cars.

Rent-a-Car contact information at the Copenhagen train station.

Major rent-a-car companies have contact information at the Copenhagen, Denmark train station. There is also a map directing you to the nearest gasoline pump of Statoil, the national oil company. When you return there is a handy key drop box right there on the wall. Out the other end of the building you can walk across the street to Tivoli Garden, one of the first and still one of the best amusement parks in Europe. The Danes know how to have fun. They also drink a lot despite the high cost of alcoholic beverages. Do not drink and drive.

Standard transmission is standard. You pay more for an automatic. Getting an automatic is not automatic. Sometimes there are none available. Air conditioning is getting to be standard, something unheard of just a few years ago. Maybe you'll want to get a car cover if you are traveling around the Mediterranean in the summer. A car cover keeps the car much cooler when parked in the sun.

This may be the first time you have rented in Europe, or the first time that you have rented a European auto with manual transmission. If so get educated in a hurry. Ask the rental agent to show you how to turn on the windshield wipers, the turn signals, the headlights, and cruise control. This is all rudimentary but these features are always different in different models. Another important point is how to get the car into reverse. Unless you are familiar with foreign cars these simple things can plunge you into frustration and evil cussing. You'll also need to know where the gas cap is located and how to open it, and location of the emergency brake, hood latch, and trunk latch.

Generally, you must be at least 21 or 25 to rent a car, and for some expensive models, 30 years old. Some companies also have maximum age limits.

Five euros a day to rent a car in Paris, France!!.

This sub compact parked on a street in Paris, France rented for €5 per day in 2008, with 100 km included. A km is a kilometer, about 6/10 of a mile. The rate is quite a bit higher as of 2015 Sixti also rents in other European countries.

Renting an auto always involves insurance. The collision damage waiver, CDW, is as high or higher in Europe as it is in the USA. For a small car this can double the rental charges. When using major credit cards, this cost is usually paid by the credit card company. However, the collision cost may be covered for only a limited time, say two weeks, and may not cover any vehicle except a standard sedan. Also, some rental agencies in Europe may want to sell you the insurance so bad that they won't accept your refusal to sign off for CDW.

It would be a good idea to carefully read the policy information from your credit card company and bring along a copy stating what is covered and under what conditions. For example, my credit cards specifically do not cover CDW in Italy and Ireland. The reason is the high rate of claims in those countries. The credit card policies generaly have a limit for the length of time you can rent and they cover only sedans, no trucks or fancy stuff.

It has been reported that auto rental companies in Europe are fanatical about dings and nicks. Small stuff can turn into mountains in their eyes. The next time I rent a car in Europe I am going to take a photo of every side and the bumpers so that if I am charged for a dent I will know whether or not it was there when I rented the car, and so will they and so will my credit card company.

Prices and taxes vary between companies and countries. Special deals exist for weekends. You can get weekly or monthly rates, and rates with unlimited "mileage" (kilometers over there). Tax concessions can be had in some countries to bait you in. Look at the total cost of the car, including CDW, personal accident insurance, theft insurance, taxes, and fees. I just priced a tiny car from one of the major auto rental agencies in Holland. The "car" is quoted at $120 per week, but after adding in all that stuff in the last sentence the cost ends up at $500 for the week. Wow! A nice Mercedes will cost about $1,700 per week. Wow! Wow!

Make sure to consider the cost of that other extra when renting an auto. Gasoline is never included in the rental price. This is generally two to three times the cost in the USA, and you know how high that is.

If you have a choice in the matter it would be better to avoid renting a car in Germany and driving it to adjacent countries. The reason is that there is still some bad feeling over WW II. Even though your parents or grandparents may have helped defeat the Nazis, the people in Poland, France, and Holland only see the German auto tags. With German auto tags, I had one bad experience in Holland and a colleague had his windows wantonly busted out in France. I put a USA oval sticker on our car when we made the trip to Istanbul.

Auto Leasing, aka Buy/Sell-Back Plans

For extended travels in Europe it may be less expensive and more convenient to lease a car. Lease programs operated by Peugot, Renault, and Citroën have been doing business in France for decades. Cars can be picked up in several dozen cities in France, Belgium, Italy, Holland, and others. You receive a factory fresh new car of your choice. Leasing is practical for those wishing to have a car for at least 17 days and up to about 6 months. Students and those on short term work assignments are eligible for up to 360 days.

Renault's web site advises "Reminder: when comparing our prices to our competitors, keep in mind that the price quoted above includes: unlimited mileage, brand new car, full insurance with no deductible, multi-risk insurance in 32 countries, the exact model you order, no airport service charges, no second driver charges, minimum age 18 years with no upper limit." That is a very sweet rental policy.

How do they do that, and do that for such a low price? Technically, so to speak, the lease program is really a purchase and buy back program. You purchase and they buy back. There are tax advantages to the car company granted under French law. This allows them to keep the price much lower than traditional auto rental.

You still must buy your own gasoline and pay tolls and parking fees. Add it all up.

Auto Purchase, New Cars

European cars can be purchased through some car dealers and through specialized agencies in the United States for tourist pickup at the factory or at a dealer near your European destination. In the good old days, you could order a car for foreign delivery, pick it up on arrival, drive through Europe on vacation, and have it shipped home. This can still be done. However, the cost savings are not as great as they once were. And problems, because of the distances, become earthshaking. I know of one man who ordered a luxury German sports car for pickup, but delivery was delayed throughout his six week trip. He had to go back to Europe a couple of months later just to pick it up. And I know of another who ended up with the wrong color because he did not double-check the order. You have to really want those oval plates to go through with it.

If you are considering the purchase of a new European auto, talk to a dealer about his tourist delivery program. You might want to make this part of your European experience. Get references and speak to recent customers to see whether the deals go through smoothly or not. My experience in going to half a dozen auto agencies is that tourist delivery is something that they don't do very often and something that they are not especially interested in doing. That's what you have to watch out for. Disinterest breeds sloppy paperwork and mistakes. Purchase of a car to return it home requires a significant amount of work and hassle. You save the amount of foreign taxes which may easily be consumed by insurance and ocean freight costs. Some states will slap a sales tax on cars which have recently been purchased overseas. Off setting the expenses, you save the cost of renting a car while you are in Europe.

Having said all that, if you want the thrill of driving your new Porsche on the Autobahnen at 120 MPH go for it. European delivery is also available for Mercedes, Volvo, and other performance cars.

Besides the auto companies, a few specialized firms in Europe offer auto purchase services. Some models are available immediately. Inquire about package deals, possibly including insurance, shipping, taxes, customs, and trip planning. The Shipside company near Amsterdam's Shiphol Airport has been selling ready to drive tax-free new models of every make for 50 years. Unfortunately most of their models are European specification. Importing a European spec car to the USA is a nuisance. See the used car section below.

If you are living in Europe and decide to buy a new car, be ready for surprises. Prices of European cars vary considerably. They are almost always cheaper in the country where they are made, but are usually cheaper in America! For instance, my Porsche 911S was priced 20% higher in Holland than what I had paid for it in California, even though Holland borders Germany where the car was made. The equivalent model for sale in Holland had none of California's engine trashing pollution control equipment and did not sail half way around the world, but it did have some exorbitant "accessories" — value added tax (VAT), import duty, and a luxury tax.

Cars in dealer showrooms usually have two prices, the price before taxes and the price including VAT. VAT goes under different names in different countries. It is equivalent to a sales tax but is usually in the range of 15% to 20% and for most goods it is included in the posted price. Tax them to death is the rule in Europe, and dodge the taxes is the most rewarding game in town. In general, you can avoid VAT if you export the vehicle soon after you buy it.

Prices of American cars in Europe are really high, maybe two to three times the price at home. To save, shop in the vicinity of an American army base in Germany. Used car lots remind you of those on the outskirts of your home town.

Auto Purchase, Used Cars

Purchase of a used car in Europe is no less risky than doing the same in America. As always, it is likely that you are buying someone else's problem.

A used car dealer in Haarlem, The Netherlands.

This used car dealer in Haarlem, The Netherlands parks some of his product out on the street. You will probably need an address before you can buy insurance. 'Te Koop' means 'For Sale.'

If you are buying a European model used car with the intention of shipping it back home, know that modifications are going to be required to meet American safety and pollution control requirements. The price on that Mercedes may look pretty sweet until United States Customs orders you to post bond and have it modified, or else export it or destroy it. Some autos require many more, and more expensive, changes than others. For instance, do not bring a car home that does not have DOT etched on every window. Another big nuisance would be a British car with right hand drive. You can do better. In fact you could hardly do worse. Another problem will probably be insurance. European specification autos may be more expensive to repair and consequently your insurance company may be reluctant to extend coverage. Simple things like tail light covers are often different so importing a replacemnet is very expensive and can take time.

Before shipping a used car home, contact the US Customs Service, the EPA, and the Department of Transportation to find out what officialdom will require of you, your bank account, and your vehicle. You should also contact your state motor vehicle department and local pollution control agency to see what standards the car will have to meet in order to be registered in your state.

To determine used car prices in Europe, locate a copy of a major European city newspaper and check the want ads. Large libraries and some news dealers carry these papers. You can also read the major European newspapers and their classified advertisements on the web. Most have an internet site.

Bring Your Own Car

Nobody except the POTUS would bring their own car to Europe for a short holiday. Actually, he brings two. But if you are relocating for a year or more this may be a very practical and economical thing to do. I did it on my first move to Holland. My experiences are detailed in chapter 22, Moving to Europe: Things to Know Before You Go.

My Porsche parked on the bank of the Spaarne River in Haarlem, The Netherlands.

I accepted a job relocation to Haarlem, The Netherlands for two years and shipped my Porsche 911S over from California. I parked the little white thing on the bank of the Spaarne River across the street from my apartment (ground floor of the corner house with the big black door) because my landlady would not rent her garage to me. Most things in Europe are negotiable, but she wouldn't budge on that garage. She needed it for her own car. She did give me exclusive use of a new washing machine in compensation. That was a good deal. If you have a car then you should rent an apartment or house with a garage if you can find one. Vandalism is a continuing nuisance throughout Europe. My Porsche was molested four times in two years, including an attempt by a group of husky Danes to roll it into the river. I gave those Vikings a word or two. We had a drink together later that night. Their favorite drink is cognac and Coke, and plenty of it.


As noted above, this Internet edition of chapter 18 is divided into four parts because it is so big. The four parts are:

  1. European Auto Rental: Details and Documentation .
  2. Driving in Europe: Back Alley to Blazing Autobahn.
  3. Laws and Habits: Police, Speed Limits, Tailgaters.
  4. Parking, Gasoline, Safety: Adjuncts to Driving.

Have a good trip!


I welcome questions and comments. If you have any concerns about your trip to Europe that have not been covered well enough in this section please do not hesitate to write and ask. When you write please include relevant details, per the folowing paragraphs.

I do not open attachments. I do not click links to web pages of any kind. I will reply in a day or two, usually.

Do not forget to smell the hyacinths. At your liesure scroll through the Table of Contents of How To Europe: The Complete Travelers Handbook and read all 30 chapters, FREE on line. Good deal! You'll probably find the answers you seek, and some you didn't know you needed.

My email address is [email protected].


This web site is totally free for everyone, and a labor of love for me. To keep it afloat I receive a commission from Amazon.com for all goods purchased through the adverts I have selected, and any other products you might buy when you are on the Amazon site. Amazon has almost everything for sale, except the Brooklyn Bridge and Mount Rushmore.

Please visit my on-line store at Euro-Shoppe is your go-to Internet source for travel supplies.. Your support is most gratefuly appreciated. TIA.

To like and like not:
FaceBook Icon Twitter Icon Google+ Icon Home sweet home.

To support this site:

Please buy your goods at:
Shop in your shorts!

Please clean out your cookie jar before clicking.
The details on driving in Europe may save your life. Driving in Europe 101 by Curley Bowman Driving in Europe 101by Curley Bowman
Michelin will get you on the right road. Europe Map Michelin Europe Map Michelin
The best travel guide to all of Europe. Europe on a Shoestring, Lonely Planet Europe on a Shoestring
Lonely Planet

A comprehensive guide to 3,000 hotels and restaurants in 44 major cities throughout Europe, in English. Separate books in the Michelin Red series cover individual countries in greater detail. This is a must have for frequent travelers. Michelin Guide 2015 Main Cities of Europe Main Cities of Europe 2015
Michelin Guide

The Marling Menu Master series is the best for interpreting restaurant offerings in France, Germany, Spain, and Italy. Marling Menu Master France Marling Menu Master

The links in this pink field take you directly to a page at Amazon.com. The Amazon page details the item, and in most cases includes candid and critical comments from others who have bought the item.

Amazon pays my site a small commission when you click and order an item, if you put it in your shopping cart within 24 hours based on the cookie they set on your computer. If you don't want to make a quick decision just put it in your shopping cart, think it over, and come back later. The revenue covers the cost of maintaing this web site and keeps it free to users.

You benefit when buying here because Amazon has:

  • 20% - 30% discount on many items,
  • free shipping deals, direct to your door,
  • no sales tax on internet purchases in most states,
  • zillions of products, well almost,
  • fast delivery even when it is free,
  • shipment tracking in UPS, USPS, FedEx,
  • easy returns if you are not happy with the product.

You win we win. Thanks for your support!!
Have a good trip in life,
John Bermont

Note: Italicized notations by the author.

If your gizmos charge through a USB port this can keep you going. European cars have the same 12 volt electrical system as American cars. Scosche Dual USB Car Charger Scosche Dual USB
Car Charger

Rolling luggage sure beats lugging a pack on your back. Travelpro Luggage Maxlite 2 20 inch Expandable Spinner Travelpro Luggage Maxlite 2 20" Expandable Spinner
A shoulder bag for your daily walk-about. Travelpro Luggage Maxlite3 Soft Tote Travelpro Luggage Maxlite3 Soft Tote
Keep your stuff organized. There are more than a dozen colors and patterns to choose from. eBags Medium Packing Cubes - 3pc Set
Luggage Packing Cubes
eBags 3pc Set

The two gallon size is excellent for packing your clothes, but it is hard to find in Europe. Two gallon plastic ZipLoc bags Two gallon plastic bags
ZipLoc by SC Johnson

Inconspicuously lock your zippered luggage with a black wire tie. Cables to Go 43036 Cable Ties - 100 Pack (Black) Cables to Go 43036 Cable Ties - 100 Pack (Black)
Plug adapters are needed throughout Europe. There are at least five models used in different countries.

Note: The highlighted #E number is purely arbitrary. It is meant to help quickly identify products in this advert column when you write in for electrical advice.

This adapter is for the standard grounded plug in France, Germany, and northern Europe. It does not fit in outlets of Italy, Switzerland, Ireland, and Britain.
#E-010 Grounded Universal 2 in 1 Schuko Plug Adapter Type E/F for Germany, France, Europe Grounded Universal 2 in 1 Plug Adapter
European Schuko plug.
4.8 mm prongs.
Equivalent to type E and F.

You can use this ungrounded Euro plug in some European countries.
#E-020 Universal 2 in 1 Plug Adapter Universal 2 in 1 Plug Adapter
Euro Plug
4.0 mm prongs.
Equivalent to type C.

This is a universal plug adapter for the UK and Ireland.
#E-030 Grounded Universal 2 in 1 Plug Adapter Type G England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland AC Adapter Plug for use in England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland
Equivalent to type G.

Here is the Swiss version.
#E-040 Grounded Universal 2 in 1 Plug Adapter Type J for Switzerland Grounded Universal 2 in 1 Plug Adapter
Type J for Switzerland

Here is the grounded Italian model.
#E-050 Grounded Universal 2 in 1 Plug Adapter Type L for Italy Grounded Universal 2 in 1 Plug Adapter
Type L for Italy

This 110-250 volt power surge strip has three universal outlets and an American grounded plug so it needs a plug adapter for the countries you are visiting. Make sure your gizmos are rated for 110-240 volts.
#E-060 SM-60 Universal 3 Outlet Power Strip / Surge Protector for Worldwide Travel. 110V-250V with Overload Protection. SM-60 Universal 3 Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector for Worldwide Travel. 110V-250V with Overload Protection.
If your gizmos charge through a USB port this can keep you going. European cars have the same 12 volt system as American cars.
#E-200 Scosche Dual USB Car Charger Scosche Dual USB
Car Charger

For small appliances travelers may find these true transformers useful. They deliver the full sine wave. Caution: The wattage rating is the max short term. For continuous duty I recommend that you select a transformer rated at two times the combined watts of all gizmos plugged it. But check your gizmo's electrical specification plate before buying one of these. Most electronic devices are dual voltage and can be plugged in any European outlet when using the appropriate plug adapter.
This 50 watt 220/110 volt step down transformer is good for very small 110 volt appliances and light duty chargers.
#E-070 Travel Smart by Conair 50-Watt International Transformer Travel Smart by Conair 50-Watt International Transformer
Absolutely the best battery for digital cameras which use AA batteries.
#E-120 Energizer - AA Lithium Batteries - 4 Pack Energizer
AA Lithium Batteries
4 Pack

Make sure that your electrical appliances are 110-220 dual voltage so they will work in Europe.

These appliances require a plug adapter, NOT a converter, for the countries you are visiting. See plug adapters above.

#E-130 Conair's Dual-Voltage Ionic Hair Dryer Vagabond Compact Styler
Conair's Dual-Voltage Ionic Hair Dryer

This will come in very handy very often. Fenix LD15 High Performance LED Flashlight Fenix LD15
High Performance
LED Flashlight

A Swiss Army Knife is unquestionably the handiest item a traveler can carry, except not on a plane. Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman II Knife Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman II Knife
To help find your way on the winding and poorly posted roads of Europe. It works for civilian travelers also. Lensatic Military Marching Compass Lensatic Military Marching Compass
Anne Klein Women's Classic Double-Breasted Coat Anne Klein Women's Classic Double-Breasted Coat
Hot Chillys Women's Peach Skins Solid T-Neck Shirt Hot Chillys Women's Peach Skins Solid T-Neck Shirt
Wear a scarf for comfort and style. Nobody will ever suspect that you are an American. Very soft houndstooth neck scarf, Kanye West style, different colors available Very soft houndstooth neck scarf. Various colors available
One of my favorite books. Ernest Hemingway in Paris. A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway


Internet edition
© 2001-2015 James J. Broad
All rights reserved. Tous droits réservés.
This is copyrighted material. Do not reproduce, copy, plagiarize, re-craft, store, modify, extract, transmit, or purloin any part of this publication in any nation in any form or by any means or for any purpose whatsoever without permission in writing.


You may print one paper copy of this web page for your personal use.


Downloading, electronic copying, screen capture and similar copying techniques are not permitted. All pages of this web site are available on line 24/7 worldwide. There is no need to copy this material to your storage media. But you can copy, if you ask first.

If you want to adapt any part of this material to your blog, forum, web site, book, article, speech, term paper, movie, video, or any other media please write to me and get permission before you do. Copyright violators and plagiarists are tracked down. It takes a few seconds with Google's search engine. Note that plagiarism includes paraphrasing text, copying ideas, and pinching images unless you give credit to the originator. Imitation, the old saying goes, may be the highest form of flattery, but it is also theft and is usually compounded by the lies of the perpetrator. Everything on this page is original. Please respect my property.
For detailed descriptions of the many forms of plagiarism please see Plagiarism.org and A Plagiarism Guide for Students.

For permission to use material from this web site contact: [email protected]


You may link the URL http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap18/auto-1.htm freely. Please do. When you link please send the URL for your linking page and a crosslink will be installed in one of the categories of the TRAVELERS YELLOW PAGES to your site if it has significant content for travelers in Europe.


  1. How To Europe: The Complete Travelers Handbook.
  2. Home.
  3. To the top of this page
  4. E-Mail to John Bermont
  5. Meet the Author
  6. Privacy Policy
  7. Site Map
  8. Advertising Policy
Bon voyage on site, and all over Europe!